Slim Down Saturday

Two posts in one day - oops! I just learned about a new link-up called Slim Down Saturdays hosted by Gina at Teaching With a Touch of Pixie Dust. Like many others do in January, I've recently reevaluated my fitness and eating habits and want to make a change for the new year. This link-up seems like a perfect way to track and reflect on my progress.




My ultimate goal is probably more than 60 lbs., but if I was able to do 60, I'd be more than ecstatic! Yesterday, my husband and I started the #Whole30 challenge. I'll be weighing myself today (because I forgot to yesterday), but I won't be weighing in again until the beginning of February. The program helps people lose weight, but it is not the main goal, so people completing the program are encouraged not to step on a scale until the 30 days are over.

I hope that the number of the scale at the end of the 30 days is amazing. I also hope that the program helps other aspects though. I get chronic headaches, and after reading a book about the program, I've heard that completing the program can also help with issues like that.

Another health related resolution that I want to improve on is drinking more water. As teachers, we have limited bathroom breaks, but it's still important to get that water in. I'm working on drinking a full gallon a day. It's hard! I'll need to be creative to figure out ways to make that. I can't drink much at school, so we'll see if I'm able to drink enough in the mornings and evenings to make up for it.


An Instagram friend recently posted her fitness goals and some rewards as motivation. I liked the idea, so I created one of my own. I don't know if I'll get started on the running part right away because it is pretty cold in Illinois right now, but I want to work on finding a fitness or yoga class this week to join.

My word for this week is persevere. The #Whole30 program will be a tough one for me. Giving up grains, dairy, sugar, and legumes is like... giving up the majority of my diet. I nearly did it in the summer (minus the legumes, and only gluten), but I probably cheated now and again with going out and such. I hope this time I can have the willpower to get through the whole 30 days.

Do you have any fitness goals for the new year? Link up!

11 comments:

  1. Good luck with your goals! I love that you have the rewards. I have to do something like that too.

    Gina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband says the weight loss should be reward enough, but sometimes you need a little fun too!

      Delete
    2. But the rewards are just an extra motivator and sometimes the push we need!

      Delete
  2. Love the rewards! Working out and changing your diet can be so hard that incentives are what help keep us going! I have my rewards posted in my kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to post them somewhere for sure. Maybe after Whole30, since I can't get any of them until I'm done anyway.

      Delete
  3. Love the rewards chart! I am going to have to do that. I really enjoy Yoga and Zumba, good luck finding one of those this week. I am starting whole 30 Monday. I have done, no dairy, sugar and gluten before, but no legumes is freaking me out a bit....silly I know. But I am determined to do it. Good luck and I look forward to hearing about your progress! You Can Do It!

    ~Laura
    Luv My Kinders

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I told my husband he had to do it with me and he was fine until I said no legumes. We've done something similar and were allowed to have legumes, so I think the idea was just as scary for him!

      Delete
  4. I love your goals and rewards. I just sat down last night to think about mini goals, but I haven't done any rewards yet. My goal this week is to make sure I get enough water. I feel so great when I get it in so I know it's something I need to do every day.

    Brandi
    Swinging for Success

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Water is so important! I'm already noticing a change in my complexion!

      Delete
  5. Those incremental rewards are great! I used something similar a few years ago. Good luck with your Whole 30 journey. I am currently reading the book, but not ready to start yet. I can't wait to hear about your experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started reading the book and was going to wait until I finished, but it seemed like an excuse. I'm still reading, but I skipped to the end where it teaches you the program so I can start right away! I'll keep reading the book though.

      Delete